NEW DELHI: Prime Minister Narendra Modi launched “Azaadi ka Amrit Mahotsav” on Friday to mark the 75th year of India’s independence. The Mahotsav was launched on March 12th to commemorate 91 years of the Dandi March.
India will celebrate its 75th Independence Day in 2022 and the mahotsav, which starts today, will last until August 15, 2023, the prime minister said.
On Friday PM Modi honored Mahatma Gandhi with flowers at Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad. After visiting the ashram, PM Modi attended a cultural program in Abhay Ghat.
In Abhay Ghat PM Modi started the “Azaadi ka Amrut Mahotsav”, a series of events marking the 75th anniversary of India’s independence.
The Prime Minister also opened a website for the “Amrit Mahotsav” and an “Aatmanirbhar Incubator”. The incubator is intended to support around 40,000 families of traditional handicrafts.
As part of the Mahotsav, the Prime Minister has also announced a 25-day march in memory of Dandi March.
Highlights from the address of PM Modi:
* Today is the first day of Amrit Mahotsav. This mahotsav started 75 weeks before August 15, 2022 and will run until August 15, 2023.
* The event will start from places that were important centers of the Indian struggle for independence – from the Sabarmati Ashram in Gujarat to the cell prison in the Andaman and Nicobar Islands, Jalianwala Baug in Punjab to Meerut in Uttar Pradesh.
Freedom struggle, ideas at 75, successes at 75, actions at 75 and resolutions at 75 These five pillars are free … https://t.co/qSguxLoEs8
– PMO India (@PMOIndia) 1615531252000
* Five pillars will inspire the dreams and duties of independent India. These pillars are freedom struggle, ideas with 75, successes with 75, actions with 75, more resolutions with 75.
* ‘Azadi ka amrut mahotsav’ means the elixir of the energy of freedom, it means the nectar of inspiration for freedom fighters, the nectar of new ideas, the nectar of new resolutions. and the nectar of self-reliance.
* In our country, salt has never been valued according to its cost. Salt means honesty here. Salt means belief. Salt means loyalty.
* During the struggle for freedom, salt was a symbol of India’s independence. In addition to the Indian values, the British had also violated our independence. The people of India were dependent on salt from England.
PM Modi visits Sabarmati Ashram and launches ‘Amrit Mahotsav’
The Prime Minister paid flowers to Mahatma Gandhi and decorated his portrait in the Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad.
PM Modi visited the Sabarmati Ashram in Ahmedabad and paid tribute to Mahatma Gandhi on the anniversary of the Dandi March with flowers.
The Prime Minister today canceled the Dandi March from the Ashram as part of the Amrit Mahotsav program to mark India’s 75th anniversary.
PM Modi today announced the start of “Amrit Mahotsav” and said in a tweet that Dandi March played a key role in promoting pride and Aatmanirbharta among the Indian people.
Today’s # AmritMahotsav program begins at the Sabarmati Ashram, from where the Dandi March began. March had a Ke… https://t.co/30KeVD0uBe
– Narendra Modi (@narendramodi) 1615521984000
PM Modi also urged people to buy a local product and post a picture on social media using #VocalForLocal.
The Prime Minister said that a Charkha is installed near Magan Niwas in the Sabarmati Ashram, which goes in circles with every tweet referring to Aatmanirbharta.
” During #AmritMahotsav, the country will not only remember every important moment of its freedom movement, but also … https://t.co/dj8y60k671
– PIB India (@PIB_India) 1615529441000
The Mahotsav is a series of events organized by the government on the 75th anniversary of India’s independence.
It is celebrated as “Jan-Utsav” in the spirit of “Jan-Bhagidari”. Curtain opening activities will begin on March 12, 75 weeks before August 15, 2022.
(With contributions from agencies)